Thursday 13 June 2013

The Master's Stalwart Consort reports...


Dear WCCA Webmaster,

How could you use the word cheeky in relation to my wonderful factual accounts of the travels of the Master and the Stalwart Consort?

I am at the moment lying down in a darkened room with the telephone switched off and dire messages being sent to my clients and contractors not to try and contact me unless the foundations have been condemned anywhere!! And even then, only if the Building Inspector is stuck down the trench.

It all started on - this could take some time so do collect a cup of coffee and a few buns before you continue reading - 13 May when we went to the Diamond Wedding celebrations of Alastair and Patricia at the Ironmongers' Hall. All went well and I managed the Circle Line on my own to Barbican having persuaded the reception clerk at Travelodge Euston that I needed to get into a room to put on my shoes and jacket. It was after this that everything started to whirl around - we got back to Euston and I insisted on retiring to the nearest pub [for coffee of course] whilst the Master used my room to change into his white tie and tails. The rain was heaving down and the sight of Mervyn formally attired in a pub at 5.30 pm was something to be remembered. After I had then changed, we went on to Mansion House for a formal dinner with Mervyns cousin - a High Court Judge no less - the music alone will remain with us for ever - the Post Horn Gallop played in echo from one end of the Egyptian Hall to the other.

That was the 13 May.

The next event was again at Mansion House on Thursday 16 May, the Tilers and Bricklayers. By this time the cloakroom staff were starting to recognise me. I had had lunch with the Lady Mayoress, when we were entertained by a talk given by Michael Hall about the Mansion House paintings, ten days previously. One of the paintings is a copy but I have yet to discover which one it was.

Then Mervyn took me to Finland. I left home on 22 May and got back at 10.15 pm on 30 May. I will leave Mervyn to do the architectural bits, but thought that the attached photographs may give a flavour of the trip.
See the photos referred to in the text below, at the foot of the post...

  • Mervyn in his blue boottees [1] is apparently attempting to break into a cupboard, he did however recover enough to be found in characteristic pose [2] [not sure whether this is better or worse than the Spirella trip] all over the place [3] He did find time to fuel up occassionally [4] leaving him with the energy to delare UDI in the nearest church [5] where he did one of his characteristic paintings of St Christopher [6] to ensure our safe return - but apparently too late for Sibellius [7].
  • Strange place Finland - these were the only cats which we saw [8 and 9] although the bears were out in the woods. [10].

Don't go away yet.

The following Thursday, we went to the Royal Garden Party after lunching at the RAC Club!!!!! [see attached - no! that is not Mervyn's car] and the day after that, Mervyn drove to Birmingham and we went on to Ironbridge for the Lord Mayor's Livery Weekend. With a formal dinner on Friday evening and a Ball on Saturday evening and visits to several museums and sites later, do you wonder that I am lying down in a darkened room? I won't describe the sight of the Master in various hats, nor record the fact that I made the steam engine move; and as for the dancing - words fail me.

Virgin Trains have called me to know if I am alright, as they have not supplied me with any train tickets this week, the cats have refused to speak to me for days and my granddaughter regards me as a source of constant presents from all over the world.

Having a lovely time, wish you were here.








ANN

The Stalwart Consort

No comments:

Post a Comment